News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

How many bikes do you own?

Started by Protein Filled, December 30, 2002, 02:14:28 PM

Dawn

QuoteDawn,

No street bike.  That's scary stuff there on the street.  Not much fun for me either.  I'd rather ride in the safety of a car.  Too many morons out there.  And that would mess up my race day.

That is so true.  A person has to anticipate that the car comming at you doesn't see you and half the time your right.  Fortunately we live in an area without a large population, so fewer cars, but more deer, and sometimes the occasional cow.    ::)

In regards to affording that many bikes, the most expensive one was the 'busa and the SV.  All others were purchase for cash and all under $1000.00 (heck, most under $500.00).  Some of the bikes we purchase are repaired by Paul and then sold for a 'profit' so, more money for racing.

Dawn   ;)

Eddie#200

02, Suzuki GSX-R750
99, Suzuki GSX-R600
99, Suzuki TL1000s
81, Kawasaki 305 CSR
77, Yamaha RD400
75, Suzuki TS185
74, Honda MR50
66, Honda 305 Dream

Nate R

Dave,

How will my race bike suffer from street riding?

I know someday I will have to make a decision. But, I have no other vehicles, and can't afford any others right now. I'll be in college at UW-Milwaukee next year, and won't have much need for a vehicle. But, when my G/f starts riding, I'll want to ride with her later.  
Insurance costs me almost $800/yr on the SV. So, I'm hoping to pick up an old beater in the next year or so, and then I won't have to use the SV for the street.

Either way, I know what you mean. But, If I want to race, I have to use a bike that's streetable for now.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

the_weggie_man

'84 BMW R100RS ($3,500)
'86 Kawasaki 600 Eliminator (wife's) ($1,500)
'01 XR100 ($1,100)
'01XR50 (daughter's) ($1,000)
'86 Honda Elite 80 ($100)
'85? Honda Spree ($25)
'86 Yamaha Raz (inherited from my son)
'76 Honda XL 100 w/125 engine ($300)

All running.  Total for all ....$7,525, You can own a lot o'stuff for little money, and always looking for the deals to add more.

I must disagree with all you who don't street ride.  I've ridden on the street continually since the late '60's including during my race days on standards, tourers, sport bikes, enduros and don't
ever plan to stop. I always had a convertible race/street bike because at the time I couldn't afford two bikes.  Yes there are morons out there on the street but there are morons on the race track also.

It's called defensive riding, you need to watch out for yourself.  I'm probably going to jinx myself here but in all those years, I have never had contact with a car, truck, bus, nothing. Yes, I've come close but I've come close to being hurt on the race track.  Sliding down the track at RA at near 100 was not a fun time.

Hell, you can die doing anything ........... Happy New Year!  ;D ;D

Super Dave

Offensive Driving...A killer HP KZ2000 would be good.  Got to be able to get out of the way.  

I know, some are die hard street guys, too.  It just scares me to no end.  Had too many people I know get messed up on the street.  Slower speeds than my get offs too.  That's all luck often times.

Nate, the race tires can get square, dirt, debris, etc.  You can make it work, but it never worked well when ever I saw it.  I was always pretty serious when I started.  But then I just found that I couldn't do the things on the street that I did on the track.  The though was there, but it just couldn't be done.  I like taking a little ride if I can borrow a bike.  And my race budget can't afford a street bike either...LOL!

You're new, so I can understand.  
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

1 Ducati 944 Racebike...anybody that races a Ducati knows that's all I'll be able to afford...lol.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Nate R

"I plan to have it convertible. Street-legal to CCS legal in under an hour. (Not including tire change)"

Dave, by that I meant that I'd use street tires on the street, and race tires on the track. So, race tires getting sqaure is a non-issue. I'd NEVER ride on the street with a set of race tires. WAAAY too slippery.

Anyway, The idea is to have the bike be in 95% race trim. On the street: Race bodywork, clip-ons, rearsets, etc.

The SV Sharkskinz allow room for the sidestand, so no cutting there. The way I have it figured out, I should be able to make it work OK, actually. I don't plan on streetriding much at all.

Check this out: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcracing/howto.motml
Look at the pics. He's going WAAAY farther than I will as far as differences between race and street bike setup. But, it seems to work OK for him.

ALL that will change for the street is:
Headlight, Tailight/License plate/ Turn sig bracket, sidestand, tires, and suspension settings.

We're talking less than 2K streetmiles next year.

Dave, what do you mean that "it never worked well when I saw it." ? How so?   I'm curious to see what problems it caused. Of course, that could all be due to the improper setup for conversion, etc.

Either way, I know what I'm doing isn't the best idea. But, if I want to race, and be able to GET to a job to pay for racing, I need the bike to be streetable. Given the choice, I'd definitely have 2 bikes, or a race bike and a pickup to haul it in. (I'll be borrowing someone else's truck to get my bike to the track)
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

sdiver68

My Teammate ran a combo GSXR750 street/race bike this past year, his first as an Amateur.  Here are his results:

While not ideal, I think its a good place to start, and very doable for AM's.

It's funny, as the season went on and we got more and more into racing, the street rides got slower and slower.  However, I do believe there is lots of race-related skills you can practice at very sane street paces.

MCRA Race School Instructor

Gixxer124

2000 GSXR600 race bike
2000 GSXR600 street bike
2001 XR100 pit bike

Just sold: 1979 XR80
               2000 XR100

Soon to buy: 70s RM100

YTAK_Racing

2001 Ducati 748S  My street bike
2000 Aprilia RS250
2002 GSXR 750
2001 GSXR 600
2001 YZ426F
2001 SR 50
2002 TTR 90

I thought I had a problem til I read this thread.
Happy new year everyone

Y

Dawn

QuoteI thought I had a problem til I read this thread.
Happy new year everyone

Y

No....  You still have a problem, we all do.   ;)  (Except Super_Dave I guess)

Happy New Year!

Dawn   :D

duc995@aol.com

1997 Ducati 916
1999 Aprilia RS 250
1999 Aprilia RS 250 (B-bike)
Aprilia Ditech ::)