News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

05 R6 Wheels on 06 R6

Started by Go GODSpeed, June 19, 2006, 11:34:07 AM

Go GODSpeed

Does anybody know if the 05 R6 wheels will fit on the 06 R6?

What other prep issues are involved with setting up on 06 for racing, are people running them with stock suspension and pipe?  What about rear sets, is the stock shift linkage reversible?

Any other thoughts on switching from on 05 to an 06?

Thanks,

tstruyk

its my understanding that 05 and 06 rims can be swapped, 03-04 fit but require different rotors.

shift linkage swaps with a minimal clearance issue on stock hardware

lotsa people run lotsa different setups... personally I would rather have a stock exhaust and a/m suspension, but thats just me.

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Super Dave

Wheels, bearings and spacers seem to be the same from 03 to current.  Front rotors are completely differeent on the 03-04.  05-06 are similar, but I think the 05's are thicker but useable.

Rear rotors are the same. 
Super Dave

Go GODSpeed

Thanks for the input on the wheels.

Do you know of anyone running stock suspension on the 06?  Just curious if it is up to race requirements or not.  Has anyone rebuilt the shock, or are they just replacing it?  Same for the forks?

Thanks guys

Super Dave

There are no requirements for racing suspension, per se, but the spring rate for the front fork appears to be a decent rate for most riders.  Rear shock length seems to be the "correct" length.  Spring rate might be on the stiff side.

The quality of dampening isn't probably the best. 

Where are you racing, and are your racing expert or amateur?

Super Dave

Go GODSpeed

I'm a disgruntled MW Expert... #513.  The story goes that I had an '03 R6 that was completely stock that I turned 1:13's on at BHF.  I really liked everything about that bike but wanted to avoid cracking the engine open to keep it up on power, so I decided to get rid of it and get an '05.  I tried to keep this thing stock too, but found the shock had to be replaced as I couldn't get enough rebound dampening out of the rear (replaced with Elka).  I struggled with the bike all last year and ended up having Ryan at Lithium rebuild my forks for me.  I've also had Ed at Trackside help me go through the set up to make sure I didn't miss anything and I still can't get this bike going.  No matter what I've done I haven't been able to get out of 1:15's at BHF.  So, same nut, different bike, slower results, mounting frustration as I watch all of my peers of two years ago get faster and faster as I've plateaued 2 seconds back.  So now I'm thinking the Yamaha guys made a mistake with the '05 by caving into marketing pressure (upside down forks) and redeemed themselves with the redesigned '06.  So my question is should I continue to battle with this bike or make this switch now with the hopes of enjoying the competition again.  This is an oversimplified summary, but it gets the point across I think.

Super Dave

The '03/'04 rocks.  I think it's better than the '05 at times.

You've got to work the chassis set up.  Not easy to learn, but it's what I teach at my racer universities.

The '06 is a different bird, but I think it's still harder to get working than the '05. 

Every manufacturer makes minor changes to their bikes.  Shouldn't result in much change in lap times.  If the 05 isn't working, you've got to regroup and look at how the bike feels and improve on that.  Changes in tires too.  It can affect the chassis geometry and how everything works in your hands.
Super Dave

Go GODSpeed

So you are quite confident that the '05 is as capable as the '03/'04 or the '06 for that matter?  It's just a matter of getting it set up right?  I have been of the same opinion but I am starting to doubt it with this thing.  I know I am merely an amature tuner, so I could definately be missing something.  But the bad part is I really don't "feel" what I need to change, I'm just not going as fast.  I have data that I've compiled over that last several years and I do some basic geometry comparisons of the various bikes I have via spreadsheets, etc., so I'm not going completely blind here.  It could also be a confidence issue, but in my experience I have learned that confidence is more a product of set-up than of most anything else, which brings me to the same issue.

So, where do I go from here?  You mentioned your class, but what other recomendations might you or others have?  Am I just beating my head against a wall by trying to set this bike up myself... am I over thinking things?!?  I'm an Engineer so I tend to do that and I have the desire to succesfully set the thing up on my own, but I'm really frustrated now.

Super Dave

Static geometry is just a thing.  A bike is dynamic in motion, so, as an engineer, you've got to appreciate that there are variables that one might not readily recognize.

Look at an aluminum framed Buell's geometry in comparision to a Japanese 600.  Under the load of traction and under the anti squat that it produces, it can give proper "feel and feedback" to a rider.

Which way are you trying to go?
Super Dave

Go GODSpeed

I would like to develop the skills on my own, but that may not be achievable at this level.  I understand the points you make and have considered them in the past, but I may be oversimpliflying things with my methods.

How deep does your instruction go in your course?  What kind of training do you have if any?

I've heard people discuss using gmd computrack to get their bike set-up to the "sweet numbers" but I don't know if that's a reality or not.  I try to avoid healthy expenditures like these when I think I can develop the skills on my own, but there may be a limit.  What's your thoughts on canned set-ups like this?

Super Dave

Training?  I started racing in 1987, and began AMA Pro racing in 1989.  I started teaching schools in 1993 for CCS.  I went independant in 1999 with my school program, and I have worked with some riders and teams as an independant contractor to guide them on issues of riding, immediated set up, and their overall program.  Never stopped racing.  No real classroom experience, or maybe I should say that I haven't let a classroom get in the way of my education. 

How deep does instruction go?  I think that reality allows us to work on some of the immediate needs of the rider and their bike.  We establish a basis for how things should be in the riders hands...feel.  To say that one can give all the answers in a single day...doesn't happen.  It's a start, and I often work with my riders long after the program.  That's up to the individual rider to do that. 

I've used the GMD sourced program from http://4and6.com.  I think it's the easiest way to get a baseline geometry set up.  It still can require some adjustment of preload, etc. to get the dynamics of the bike perfect for you.  Additionally, if you don't have the correct spring rates and all, you'll be far off the mark.

I haven't used some of the other programs out there on my bike, but I have worked on students bikes that have utilized them.

Cost?  Well, one has to ask themself if they can achieve a good balance in their chassis on their own.  And how long does that take to get there, if ever? 
Super Dave

Go GODSpeed

Thanks for all the info Dave, I appreciate your answers.  I have a lot to think about now and at least a direction to head... I think.