News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Team/Solo challenge race time limit, how is it determined?

Started by zeroice, May 01, 2007, 06:18:35 PM

zeroice

Quote from: Burt Munro on May 02, 2007, 10:13:10 PM
The race was scheduled for 62 laps.  Track length is 2.5 miles. Race length = 155.00 miles.  250 kilometers = 155.343 miles.

Race time limit was set at 2:30 hrs.  The race winner completed 62 laps as the time limit was expiring.  A time limit countdown clock (located under the starters bridge) showed the time left for the last 60 minutes of the race.

Anyone who asked at the starters bridge was given info on who the top 3 were.  Would it have been nice to have a monitor showing the running order?  Most definitely!  A real time online feed?  Oh yeah!

Any other questions? 

Burt, I can do math, I have an engineering degree. It doesn't explain how the 2hr 30 minute limit was determined for HPT or the 2hr 15min @ CMP. I remember the time limit being announced at the CMP Team Challenge riders meeting but didn't hear it at HPT. I know its a set 250km distance race and if that distance hasn't been met, the rule book limits the race to 2 hrs (or more if posted or announced).

How does the event coordinator or race director set the limit? Is it based on the number of races they have scheduled that day and maybe there is a whee little bit time available to add to the 2hr standard limit? Maybe the race director just "feels" like having a 2hr 30 minute race just like he "feels" like taking a dump at 8am or maybe 9am? C'mon guys, seriously, answer my question, its not magic.

One time I did a 3 hour Fastraxx (Bob  Stanley - RIP) endurance race @ Nelson Ledges back in 2004. I remember it started out sunny, then hail larger than golf balls came down. That race got red flagged. When it all stopped, there was a double rainbow from horizon to horizon and we went back out. Those are some fond memories... I miss that track...
Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707

Burt Munro

Mr. Pribadi,

I'm sure you don't intend to come off as an arrogant ass and it would be easy for me to reply to you in the same tone.   Unfortunately, I was not at the riders meeting so I can't say with 100% accuracy if or what time limit was announced.

The only thing I can say for certain is that there was a countdown clock located between the track and hot pit under the starter's bridge.  This clock was started when there was 60 minutes left on the 2:30 hr time allotment.  I'm sorry if you or your support team did not see this. 

And yes, the clock starts when the 5 board goes up.

Rick Weaver
Assistant Starter and Technical Inspector, CCS/ASRA

Biomedical Engineering, M.S.
The Whiting School of Engineering
Johns Hopkins University

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Court Jester

How do they come up with the 2hr30min time???
What dictates a 2hr time limit as apposed to a 2.5 hour time limit???

Mike Middleton
Head Manufacturing Process Engineer
Weekend Crash Test Dummy

Current Psychology Doctoral Student

Platteville University
University of Phoenix Online
Vincennes University
Oakland City University
Ohio State School of Medicine
Laurel oaks JVC
Hillsboro High School
Blanchester High School
Sydney Academic Academy
Oneida Baptist Institute
South Lebanon Elementary
Kings Mills Elementary
Harrison Heights Elementary
Little Tot's Day Care
Abortion Survivor
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

tstruyk

dude your not right...  :lmao:

Thanks for standing out there Rick, every 5 mins when I would go buy (hey I was on DOT's!!!)  I'd think "man that must suck.. man does THIS suck... 2 more laps and I'm parking it"

Couldnt believe they left you guys out there with the lightning... scary!!!

I quit before the hail... barely

Rick I think the correct flag for hail is simply the debris flag positioned over your head to keep from getting pelted...

Zeroice, maybe call the CCS office for an official explanation... i dont think anyone that was at the race frequents this forum other than Rick (Burt).

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Garywc

some of you guys spent way to much time in school....

CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

zeroice

Sorry Rick, no pun intended, was trying to be funny but came off arrogant.

yeah, the race was rough and I was on DOTs the whole time too but generally I had fun.

Anyways, I'll give em a call I suppose.

Hey Jester, thanks for staying out there in the pits for me the entire time; that must have been harsh! Funny how you remember every school you've been to. I hardly remember which grade school I went to since I attended so many different ones...
Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707

HAWK

The time limit as I understand it is based on a reasonable amount of time to complete the specified  number of laps and further depends on the days schedule. The time limit is to prevent delaying the schedule for the rest of the day. How it is determined is irrelevant as it is specified on the days schedule and most likely at the riders meeting as well.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

zeroice

Hawk, So you're saying "a reasonable amount of time to complete the race" which translates to average lap times to do the distance? Now which lap times are those? practice? track record? last year's time?
Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707

Court Jester

I missed a few. I moved around a lot.
But I enjoyed helping you out. Give me a heads up next time and i'd be more than happy to help you again. I had fun with it.
and congrats on the win.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Burt Munro

No problem!  :cheers:

I can't honestly say that I've heard a formula to determine the time limit.  

I tried a couple of scenarios: 1:50 laps would put you at 1:53:40 for 62 laps.  2:00 laps would be 2:04:00 and both of these don't factor in a gas and/or rider stop.

Timmay!  Coming by every 5 minutes?  Wow, you only lost about 30 seconds a lap in that crap compared your dry track times!!!! :kicknuts:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

tstruyk

:ass:

after the first hour or so I had no idea how long I had been out... just out for a leisurely cruise!!   :biggrin:

Kept thinking how great the racing would be sat and sun and how FEW spares I had with me...

what suck is I had rain's in the trailer... oh well, good racin from there on out!
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

HAWK

Quote from: zeroice on May 03, 2007, 04:54:28 PM
Hawk, So you're saying "a reasonable amount of time to complete the race" which translates to average lap times to do the distance? Now which lap times are those? practice? track record? last year's time?

My bet is that they have some idea from historical laptimes and base it on that. Usually if you look at the laptimes of the winner in good race conditions you will see  that they can complete the distance in slightly less time than the limit. Like I said though there is the factor of the days schedule, they don't want the race to run long and push back the whole day.

The key is to watch the leader and you can calculate when the race will reach distance or in bad conditions watch the time limit and the count down clock. The most important thing though is to have fun!
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413