News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

PBIR March-09 thoughts so far

Started by the_jarhead, March 14, 2009, 12:40:18 AM

the_jarhead

Don't understand the gate price increase for this race. I know HD said it was because it included the night practice, but it also starts 3 hours later.

I was very unhappy with the fact that I was charged $30 spectators fee ($15 each for me and my wife) just so I could come in and drop off my trailer tonight.

Not sure what exactly I was going to be spectating since we couldn't find any place where you could see anything other then a helmet go by everyonce in a while. Plus there was less then an hours before the day was done.

Talked to a few people who said the track has great grip but eats tires up FAST.

Still looking forward t riding tomorrow. Good thing I brought my generator since the advertised power in the paddock doesn't exist

roadracer162

The power in the paddock was for the vendors and then later for the general population as far as I understood. The extra bucks is conceivable due to the additional cost of electric to run those halogen lamps at night. I hear Daytona pays a healthy fee for running their lights. Is it true? I don't know.

Track is great. Surface is fantastic and seems to be giving some handling gremlins. My on my little FZR400 goes along just fine.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

GregGorman

My Dunlop medium rear tire was toast on the right side after the GTO race.  I flipped it and ran it in the UnlSbk and UnlGP and now it's completely toast.  My Dunlop DOT from Daytona didn't show any signs of wear and my 32 lap Medium/Hard slick did fine all day in practice on Saturday.

In the UnlSbk race, a my mechanic forgot to lower the tire pressure after having the tire flipped.  I still got down to 1:20 with only a few slides.  When I got back in the looked good.  But after adjusting the pressure down from over 40psi it was toast after the GP race.

GMD was testing adding rebound dampening for force the tire to slide and stop tearing.  I don't know how that worked out.

So, the solutions to tire wear for Dunlop at PBIR seem to be:
Use Medium-Hard/Hard compound rears - seems to be the real answer
or run higher tire pressure in medium compound rears - probably not as much as I had though
or add rebound dampening to reduce traction - check with GMD and see what there results were

The fronts soft, hard, medium, didn't seem to have any problems.